Back on track

It turned out there were 3 different leaks that plagued the startup/burn in. The first was transmission fluid from the cooling lines as mentioned previously. Tightening it down did not help, so I took that line off and bent the line enough to fit straight into the socket and tightened it down. That did the trick. The second leak that caused the fire was harder to track down. It was finally determined to be the oil pressure sender cable was burned through from the headers. It was only a small pin hole leak, but at the high PSI, it was spraying a good stream of oil. I had the line wrapped with heat shield, but it wasn’t enough. There are several locations to install the sender line, so I opted to move it away from the heat and up near the distributor where it will be safer. That also allowed me to simply cut off the damaged spot and not replace the entire plastic tubing. The third leak is a very slow drip from the oil pan gasket. I tightened down those bolts holding the oil pan on and the leak has slowed, but is not entirely fixed. It only seems to leak very slowly when the front end is jacked up, so I’ll keep an eye on it. The good news is that no other damage was found from the fire, so the engine was fired up and finished the cam break in procedure. I next spent several hours trying to tune the carb as it was running very rich, but with the big cam causing low idle vacuum, that is quite difficult. The tuning will happen sometime later. After fixing the spring issue (mentioned a few posts back), I noticed the ground clearance with the headers was a huge issue. I could not fit my fist between the headers and road. It was decided to replace the cheap stainless headers with a better fitting set of ceramic coated. These fit up underneath the frame rail, and will be great for ground clearance. This is one time my thrift hurt.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Back on track

  1. Anonymous says:

    Hey Ken,
    I’d replace that plastic line with a copper one so as to not have an issue with it in the future. It fits right in place of the cheap plastic ones, no modifications needed, and you should be able to get it at any decsent auto parts store.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s